Monday, April 21, 2008

Hey Bros! See you at Dunn Bros

Have you ever had a cup of coffee at Dunn Bros. coffee shop? Well, if you live in the Twin Cities and never had one, I could say that you haven't had real Minnesotan coffee yet. Yes, I mean it. And you will be addicted to its taste if you try a cup of coffee there.

The first time I went to Dunn Bros was in 1996. I went to the one on Grand Ave and Snelling Ave, St Paul, near Maclester College. It was a chilly morning. When I stepped inside the coffee shop, suddenly I could smell the freshnest of the beans that were roasted in a huge coffee roaster. People were lining up to order their favorite coffee and bakery item. Two of the smiley staff were greeting customers and taking orders, two other staff were brewing coffee deligently, and one other was putting the beans in the roaster, adjusting the temperature to ensure the freshnest and highest quality of the beans. There were several tables and chairs but it was not enough to accommodate the great number of customers. I also saw a fairly small stage for some talented band which usually performed on the weekend.

On that cold morning, I ordered 16 oz. of hot dark chocolate mocha latte - espresso with milk and dark chocolate topped with whipped cream. Wow, that drink just made my day! An excellent balanced flavor of chocolate, espresso, milk, mixed altogether giving such a perfect bodiness, not too weak and not too strong. The whipped cream gave an extra creaminess to the coffee. Yumm...

Since then I have been to Dunn Bros several times at several locations. They have been improving in a positive direction such as offering a "real" free WIFI, punch cards, seasonal drinks, etc. I have tried almost all the coffee drinks: Americano, Latte, Dark Chocolate Mocha, White Chocolate Mocha, Caramel Mocha Latte, Macchiato, Coffee Ice Crema, and the Hoiday flaved coffee. Considering the overall taste, staff friendliness, and atmosphere I give Dunn Bros. an "A", however the price is somewhat too high compared to Starbucks or Seatle Best Coffee.
.

1 comment:

Ronin said...

Hi Bro!

Yes, agree with you. In fact we were Dunn Bros addict for quite some time until the gas price force us to watch our wallet :(

(T_T) I miss those old time where we could go freely almost every weekday sipping our favorite coffee during lunch break :(